THE SCHIRN IS DEDICATING AN EXTENSIVE EXHIBITION TO THE FASCINATION OF THE PHENOMENON “WILDERNESS” IN ART – FROM 1900 TO THE PRESENT
1 NOVEMBER 2018 – 3 FEBRUARY 2019
The wilderness returns to art! And it does so at a time when the blank spaces on the world map have largely disappeared and an “untouched natural state” virtually only exists in the form of areas designated as nature reserves. The search for the last open spaces, the expedition as an artistic medium, and post-human visions of a world devoid of people characterize the works of many contemporary artists alongside the renegotiation of the relationship between individual and beast. The SCHIRN is dedicating an extensive thematic exhibition to this recurring fascination and presents works of art from 1900 to the present. With important pieces by some 30 artists – from Henri Rousseau to the present day – it not only sheds light on the phenomenon of the wilderness in terms of iconography, but also shows it as a principle and motor of artistic creative work. Artists have repeatedly been drawn to that which is wild, untamed, uncultivated since the beginning of the aesthetic modern age. The “wilderness” has always also served as a projection surface for anything that was different and foreign, for the longing for a primordial life beyond the boundaries of civilization. In today’s “Anthropocene,” the utopia of a natural state remote from culture and human influence seems anachronistic. And yet the examination of traditional images and fictions of wilderness seems more alive than ever before.
"KOMBITICKET" PAYS OFF
If you would like to visit the exhibitions “WILDERNESS” and “KING OF THE ANIMALS” on the same day, an economical “Kombiticket” combination ticket is well worthwhile
• € 14, reduced price € 10 with the “Kombiticket”
• € 9, reduced price € 7 if you visit just one exhibition
• The reduced ticket price applies for groups of 20 persons or more
• Free entrance for children under 8 years of age and for FRIENDS OF THE SCHIRN
BOOK GUIDED TOURS NOW
We offer guided tours for tour groups, companies, school classes and private groups – in foreign languages as well!
• School classes of 15 persons or more pay € 1 per person, € 3 with a guided tour
• The reduced entrance price applies for groups of 20 persons or more
• Registration required. Groups that have not registered in advance must be prepared to wait
WE'LL BE HAPPY TO ADVISE YOU
TEL 069.29 98 82-112